I procured a Power Edge T105 server with the following specs:
- Dual Core 4450B Processor 2x512K Cache, 2.3GHz Athlon for PowerEdge T105
- 8GB, DDR2, 800MHz, 4x2GB,Dual Ranked DIMMs
- 160GB 7.2K RPM SATA 3Gbps 3.5-in Cabled Hard Drive-Entry
- On board Network Adapter
- 16X DVD-ROM,SATA, INTERNAL
Rather than installing VMware on the (smallish) hard drive, I grabbed a 4GB thumb drive lying around to host the ESXi hypervisor.
Steps to install:
- Burn ESXi 4.0 installer ISO.
- Followed these instructions to install to Flash drive. In my installer, the flash drive came up as “Disk0 JetFlash Transcend 4GB”.
- Restart, enter BIOS, select to boot from Flash drive.
- Hit F2 to set root password.
- Connected ethernet cable to server. Configured router to grant static IP address for hypervisor’s MAC address.
- Installed VMware vSphere client on my laptop.
- Followed these instructions to set up my ESXi license key.
All set. Next, I’ll create some virtual machines. Some project ideas:
- Source control server
- FreeNAS file server for photos and music
- Web farm
- Test for alternative web servers: NGINX, Squid, etc.